Friday, January 24, 2014

Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour

If you read Bangkok “must-see” or “must-go” places for tourists, the Floating Market is almost always on the list. Despite reading the posts of The Sole Sisters and Flip Travels, I still insisted on going to the very popular destination during my second trip to Bangkok with my family. I happily took care of the itinerary and booked a package via online which included a tour to the Samphran Elephant Ground& Crocodile Zoo.  

The Floating Market is situated 110km west of Bangkok. It took us about 2 hours to arrive at the station where we boarded on a long-tail boat going to Damnoen Saduak.
Photo credit:  Phil Parker
Upon arriving, our tour guide told us that we needed to pay for an additional ฿150 per person for another boat ride that will take us around the floating market. We didn’t think it was worth to shell out more, so we skipped that and just went around the souvenir shops and food stalls.  


A hardworking Thai lady selling fruits and drinks
The best thing I got from this tour? This super yummy Shrimp Fried Rice!

…And of course these equally tasty Thai Iced Coffee and Buko Sherbet.



These are some beautifully-made souvenirs available at the station.


In my mind, the Floating Market was one huge trading site where the locals buy their everyday food such as fruits and vegetables. Well I learned that was what it used to be. It now turned out to be a place intended for tourists and souvenir sellers.


Though the Floating Market didn’t meet my expectations, I still had a fab time with my family! We enjoyed the atmosphere, the food and each other’s company. 

Still craving for shrimp fried rice, 
Gladys

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Share it to your friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...