Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Where I Stayed in Kuala Lumpur | Irsia BnB Guesthouse and Hotel De Grand Orchard

I am a budget traveler. As long as the place is clean, safe and near public transportations and malls, I’m in. I stayed at Irsia BnB Guesthouse when I traveled to Kuala Lumpur with my friends and Hotel De Grand when I was with my family.

From time to time, I get lazy to take photos; hence all pictures here are lifted from Agoda website.

34 Lorong 1/77A, Jalan Changkat Thambi Dollah, Off Jalan Pudu, Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The guesthouse garden where breakfast is also served
What I got: Triple bedroom (shared toilet and shower) for me and my two friends for Php1,693* per night. Breakfast included.

What I loved about it:
I knew Irsia BnB Guesthouse was close to establishments based from Agoda reviews but I didn’t know it was that close until we arrived. Only a street separates the guesthouse from Berjaya Times Square and from Imbi station of the KL Monorail line. There are also a number of restaurants nearby the guesthouse. I and my friends were very pleased with the location.

I give 5 stars to the staffs for being so accommodating with our requests. We arrived at the guesthouse at around 9:30PM and money changers inside Berjaya Times Square were closed already. The receptionist willingly exchanged our dollars. I know I know it was our mistake for not being ringgit-ready but thanks a lot to him; we were able to pay for our dinner on our first night in Kuala Lumpur. He also helped us in carrying our luggage to our room located at the second floor.

What I wasn’t raving about:
Having a nice breakfast experience at Suk11 Hostel in Bangkok, I was expecting similar food would be served: a hearty meal with breads, fruits and desserts. I guess I expected too high. What we got at Irish BnB Guesthouse were just breads and cereals, nothing more.  And come the big surprise, you need to wash your own dishes after eating! Thank you to our very gentlemanly friend, Mc for taking care of our plates. J Naturally, we just dined out elsewhere the following day. I later on learned from my cousin who have stayed in hostels a few times already that washing your own dishes was a typical setup in a hostel. Oh well, that was what I consider hostel 101.
The guesthouse lobby or more appropriately referred as the "living room" because of its homey vibe 
Triple room
81-83 Medan Bunus, Off Jalan Masjid India, Golden Triangle, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hotel lobby
What I got: Family room for me and my family for Php2,639* per night. No breakfast included.

What I loved about it:
Hotel De Grand was relatively new when stayed there in March 2013. It was noticeable that walls were newly painted and floor tiles were very furnished. Our spacious room had two very comfortable double beds, complete with hotel facilities such as television, landline phone, wifi, and refrigerator. The comfort room was very clean and had a nice rainfall shower.

The receptionist was very friendly and gladly answered our queries on going around the city. The hotel also had a laundry service which we availed at a low price.

What I wasn’t raving about:
Though the hotel was just 10 minutes away from Masjid Jamek Station of the Kelana Jaya Line, it was located on a dead end. Coming from the airport, it was a bit hard for our taxi driver to find the hotel and even mistakenly brought us to the other branch of Hotel De Grand. From the train station, we have to pass by a street full of vendors to reach our hotel.  For me, the hotel vicinity was quite disorderly and noisy.
Cozy hallway
Family room
How about you, where did you stay in Kuala Lumpur? Share me your experiences below!

*Please note that room rates may change depending on your booking date.


Till next review,
Gladys

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Share it to your friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...